[Gimp-user] Book cover image density /resolution etc..

Greetings all,
I am a noob where Gimp is concerned.   I have used it as a photo editor on a fairly cursory level and
absolutely love it.  UNTIL, I decided to try to use it to design the cover for my first book.
I tried, I tested and stretched and ran myself mad trying to get it to do what I wanted and in the end I gave
up and gave it to someone else to do in Photoshop because it was a quick fix and I only have a limited amount
of spare time I can dedicate to these projects.
I am now preparing to publish my second book and I am back to the same issues I was having before..
I have a Hi Definition JPG  image ( I am currently away from the image or I could provide the resolution)
that I have attempted to put into GIMP and the book cover I have is 6x9 inch cover, and the image needs to be
a minimum of 300 dpi and when I go in to adjust the size of the image according to the instructions I have,
(entering the dpi level in the X and then the cover size in the appropriate location,  it resets the DPI
level to something smaller.
I had this same issue before. but could not get around it..   I spent hours going over how to interlace
multiple images and it would cause a  sane man to go mad...
And so I am hoping that I can get some help in figuring out this process.
Thanks in advance..
Mark