Re: [Gimp-user] Asking for comparison to Photoshop, pretty please!

Mark is correct. I was a Photoshop user for years. Now I use GIMP, which has some similarities, especially in
superficial appearance, to PS. This causes problems for those who switch from one to the other. For example,
the paintbrush tool would seem, at first, very similar in both apps, but it isn’t, and the differences will
catch you.

The programs have some of the same capabilities, but they are implemented differently. Each has some
capabilities, or better capabilities, than the other.

What I would do is look at the manuals for each, concentrating on the capabilities you would need most, and
making the comparison that way. For me, Adobe just got too greedy, and GIMP has all the capabilities I need.
Perhaps that is the question you should ask: What capabilities that I need are best implemented in each
program? No “review” you can read in less than an hour is likely to give you that.

The Book of GIMP, by LeCarme and Delvare, written for an earlier version than the current one, may be
available in a local library, and if you are already familiar with PS, should provide you with a better idea
of how GIMP handles things you want to do.

Ross