[Gimp-user] Asking for comparison to Photoshop, pretty please!

 Hello,
 The last day I've been looking at various reviews of GIMP compared to
Photoshop (on the image editing aspect only, as I know GIMP does not focus
on anything else), yet none seem satisfying enough: they are being a bit
vague with not many specific examples. I have seen some giving specific
examples for brushes, selection tools and... generally editing tools, but
I'm still not sure whether to trust them, because most people write reviews
without actually learning GIMP in such depth as Photoshop.

 In short, they say GIMP lacks the convenience that Photoshop provides on
how to handle tools and brushes. And also, they say the GUI is nicer over
at Photoshop, but I cannot guarantee that.

 On the other hand, I have heard that GIMP has actually been easier to use
and learn and more flexible than Photoshop. They say GIMP is actually
greater at photo editing than Photoshop is.

 You can really see that opinions vary so much, I really don't what to
conclude. Lastly, as I am really clueless about photo editing, I will refer
to the Adobe Photoshop website which contains some short videos (gifs?)
that show how photoshop works. They gave me the impression that the
software works really smoothly (might be false of course, because of its
size) and that it's really simple if you know what you are looking for.
Could GIMP be like that too?

 I really don't know and that's why I ask you, who seem to have a lot of
experience at such, photo editing, software like Photoshop. So, again,
looking only at the photo editing aspect of Photoshop, what kind of things
(tools,brushes, file formats, UI-related) do you think that Photoshop can
handle better/worse than GIMP? I planned to make this mail short but failed
miserably so if you made it this far, I appreciate it!

 Just a fan of FOSS and (GNU)Linux,
 Dimitris Giannos