Re: [Gimp-user] Text with accents

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:11:13PM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
On Thu, 2020-08-27 at 07:32 +0100, Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list wrote:
Hi,
 when I type ä
(a-umlaut if you can't read that) I just get a plain a.  Similarly
with other accents, although my key for ß (capital letter sharp S)
works.

Make sure the font supports this character.
For example, open it in fontforge. Or, make a text file with the ü in
it and some other characters, and run,
pango-view --font='Helvetica 36'
(where Helvetica is the name of the font you are using).

I'm using regular accents e.g. U+00e4 for small letter a with
diaeresis, not combining characters because I don't have those
mapped on my keyboard.

It should work fine.

slave liam (ankh)

Hi Liam,

please see my earlier reply to Patrick - the accented letters that
did not work are definitely in FreeSans, I think the difference is
that I access them via keys mapped as some-dead-accent + letter.

I've got my own 'analysis' of what is directly avlable in some fonts
(i.e. not using opentype variations) at zarniwhoop.uk, so I know
that FreeSans supports the accents I tried and also has suitable
shapes for the letters.

Editing on a pixel-by pixel basis (blue background, almost-white
text, a few intermediate blue shades) has allowed me to add
satisfactory umlauts to a couple of 'a' letters at approx 16pix and
12pix high.  No idea if htey wil lprint ok, too many other
pixels/sizes need to be edited before it is worth trying to print.

Unfortunately I keep losing the ability to paint with any brush.
I've checked the online 'stuck' help, all my settings were ok.  The
first time I eventually closed gimp, reopened, no change until a bit
later it suddenly started workign again - no idea what I had done
which fixed it.  The second time I was sorting out some mis-coloured
pixels (drawing lines around the text at 3200%, sometimes a mouse
click generates one 'white' pixel and another next to it in an
intermediate shade.  And there I got stuck and have not managed to
progress.

Apart from the 2.10 online docs, all the suggestions which google
found are for people who have accidentally got indexed colours -
mine are straight rgb.

ĸen
--
Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to
say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.