Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp version

On 2020-04-18 15:02:39 rich404 wrote:
When I check the 'about' menu item, I see that I am running Gimp
2.10.18.
When I check Ubuntu's software area, it lists Gimp 2.10.8-2.  I assume
that is
an old version, but wonder why it would be there instead of 2.10.18.

. . . and, if I have 2.10.18 on my machine, I'm wondering how it got
there, as I
only install Gimp from the Ubuntu software area.

Maybe this is a question for the Ubuntu forum, but I am checking here
in hopes
that someone can inform me.

Thanks.

Caruso

Ubuntu is based on Debian and the default Gimp version comes from the
Debian version.

Guessing you use Ubuntu 19.10  based on Debian 10 and hence Gimp 2.10.8 is
the default.

If you have a Gimp 2.10.18 it is a 'snap' version from the so-called ubuntu
software centre.

The problem with snap applications is they are 'self-contained' &
'sandboxed' and can be limited if you ever intend to use any extra compiled
plug-ins or external RAW editors such as Rawtherapee or Darktable.

        I've never liked these 'convenience' packages, just because of such issues;
unfortunately they seem to be becoming more popular than regular installation
packages. :-(