[Gimp-user] Exporting .gif files corrupts color information.

.....snip.....
To get a gif out in that format (4)

Add an alpha channel

Set the BG colour to #878787

Export as a gif.

That didn't work unfortunately, It's even worse than before, at least in the
game. After exporting, the background is visibly a different color and I get
huge black squares in the game instead of the grey ones before.
Is there no way to tell GIMP to ensure the original colormap is saved and
applied to the exported file?
Seems like it's a simple thing for other programs.

I followed the instructions but I suppose it's possible I did something wrong.
Any other ideas?

--
Blasphemous (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)