[Gimp-user] Exporting .gif files corrupts color information.

Hi,

Here's the problem I'm facing, there is no short description though:

I'm attempting to edit gif files which contain graphics used in
Civilization 2 game. That's a 1996 game and it is highly customizable
and as you can imagine, highly outdated.

.....snip.....
Thanks in advance for your time and let me know if there's anything
else I could provide to help resolve this.

Best guess. Your game is using the grey (#878787) for a transparency mask,
rather than the more usual white.

In the original gif entry 255 is that color and selecting it (right click in
color map) shows the extent (1). There is another #878787 in the colormap and
only assigned to a few pixels (2)

In your export entry 255 is not set and the #878787 grey is assigned to that
other #878787 (3)

To get a gif out in that format (4)

Add an alpha channel

Set the BG colour to #878787

Export as a gif.

Can not comment on the other images, they are jpegs. It will be some screw-up
with a non-standard colormap.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1084/original/before_export.jpg
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1085/original/exporting.jpg