Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

stormy wrote:
Thanks for all these details. I'm not a developer,

The detail I posted was mainly aimed at developers who might pick this up, in case they're not familiar with Windows conventions.

tried shortcut from:

c:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4\

to f:\temp\gegl0.4, but the short cut has a .lnk extension, removing it made the
shortcut have a .4 extension :)  in short, could not get it to work, and
processing of any large file is just not possible b/c it locks up the PC pretty
quickly as the swap is written to.. C:\...*some*place*... :)

if someone knows exact cmd, i can try it here, this is windows 10 and I'm new to
gimp, etc, so don't assume much :)

A shortcut probably won't work for this purpose. As you found, they have a .lnk extension, and the way they're handled by the OS doesn't do what's needed.

You might be able to achieve the right effect with an NTFS "directory junction". Windows doesn't provide a GUI for creating those, but it can be done from the command prompt. I believe you need to run the command prompt as administrator to do this.

1. Close GIMP.

2. Move "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4" to "F:\temp\gegl0.4".

3. In Windows' Start menu, search for the "Command Prompt", right-click it and select "Run as administrator".

4. Enter the following command to create a directory junction:
  mklink /J "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4" "F:\temp\gegl0.4"

5. Enter the following command to check:
  dir "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\"
In the output, you should see something like:
  DD/MM/YYYY  HH:MM    <JUNCTION>    gegl-0.4 [F:\temp\gegl0.4]

Opening "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4" in Windows Explorer will look like it's showing a directory at that path - the address bar will still show "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4", not "F:\temp\gegl0.4". However, what appears to be the content of that directory is actually stored at "F:\temp\gegl0.4", and any files created in one location will also show up in the other. Any other application (such as GIMP) will also believe it's working with files under "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4", when they're actually stored under "F:\temp\gegl0.4".

Hopefully that works. If not, the most likely difficulty is the "mklink" command. If you get any errors, be sure to mention the exact text of any messages.

--
Mark.