Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 12:22 AM stormy <forums gimpusers com> wrote:

On Windows 10, uninstalled 2.8.18, and reinstalled 2.10.6, however, the
SWAP &
Temporary folders, in Edit-Properties->Folders, do not appear to be
honored.

Do you have any link for developers so that we know where to look for
regarding this SWAP settings?
Keep in mind all the core devs do not use Windows, so do not hesitate to be
accurate and consider we don't know much about Windows.

Set the Temporary folder to F:\tmp and Swap folder to F:\swp, restarted
GIMP,
and PC...

however, no matter what, GIMP still goes to either:

c:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4\12056-shared.swap

c:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\gegl-0.4\12056-shared.swap

Does it go to one or the other? I'm sure it does the right thing, but I
doubt that it randomly use one folder or another at different runs, right?
:-)

That "C:" drive is low on space, only few GB, and drive F has a TB free :)

I've reinstalled many times, and removed all possible files from
directories,
and registry as per various urls online, however, no matter what, each new
re-install, gimp ignores the folders settings, and writes directly to the
above
locations... any ideas?

Yeah it obviously follows XDG folder (which is a spec for Linux
distributions), and that is obviously not right for Windows. We should
special case the cache directory for this OS. If you tell us more about
this SWAP settings on Windows (and in particular what we have to look for?
Is there an API to know this folder? An env variable), this would help.
Also what is the proper default cache folder expected on Windows if none
were explicitly set?

Please when you answer, mention me explicitly (I have filters) so that I
don't miss your answer.
Thanks.

Jehan

Stormy.