[Gimp-user] GIMP user friendliness suggestion

I find GIMP very useful as an image editor on Linux, but my one big issue with this program is that it does
not save to PNG or JPG unless you use the "Export" option. It would be so much more intuitive if GIMP's "Save
as" feature had PNG and JPG as file options.
This is the one thing that makes GIMP feel awkward when I use it, and as a developer myself it seems like it
would be dead simple to change it...
Thanks,Anthony.