[Gimp-user] transparency puzzle

I am presently unable to do something I have done many times. It is
embarrassing but:
1) I have a scan that is in grayscale. I want to keep the black "text"
and make the white background transparent.
2) I t has only one layer.
3)I have added an alpha channel.
4) The "color to alpha" remains grayed out!
5) I am stuck here. I want to send the background color (approximately
white) to alpha channel.

I have sent a screenshot. I am obviously missing something. Any
suggestions?

I found the problem.  Apparently no alpha channel in grayscale mode. Made it RGB
and it became workable!
Who knew? I didn't but do now.

--
Roy_Pittman (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)