[Gimp-user] Having trouble changing background color on my canvas?

Thanks, Rich.  Ok, I got to step 5 about creating the new layer, but
I'm having trouble with the step "(have Foreground set to Red when you
do this)".  My new layer dialog doesn't look like the one in the
tutorial (attached).  I can't see where I select a color in that
dialog.

Btw, my bad on the version.  Its 2.8.18.

Check the screenshots

Click in the Foreground (FG) colour icon (1) that brings up the Change FG Colour
dialogue. You do not really need the colour picker in the dialogue, click on a
colour or use the sliders.

To use the colour picker. Click on the picker icon (2) and you can pick from
anywhere in the dialogue or in the image (3).

Until you get the hang of things, OK to close the dialogue and fix the colour.

You can get a new layer easily using the icon in the layers dialogue (4) Brings
up the dialogue as you posted, or use the Layer menu. With FG set that uses the
new colour. I prefer a transparent layer and fill it later, up to you.

Move down using the icon (5) in the layers dialogue or use the Layer -> Stack
menu

An easy way to fill a layer with colour is click-n-drag from the FG (or BG) icon
into the canvas. (6)

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/835/original/01-fgselect.jpg