Re: [Gimp-user] Layer groups seriously broken - huge resource hog

On Tue, 2018-06-19 at 17:13 +0200, BWK wrote:
I doubt you've ever tried doing a selection rectangle to that size
and getting
it exactly the right size and boundaries. It is a very slow and
fiddly operation.

You can use tool options to fix the size in the rectangle select tool,
and for that matter the position, or make the rectangle and drag it to
where you want it; alt and arrow keys may also work to move it.

You can also use image->canvas size, of course, if you know the
positions you want.

I routinely do large rectangle selects, by the way. Did one that was
probably about 15,000 pixels high yesterday, and then Fill with bg, and
it was fast. I zoom in to adjust the rectangle as needed, use the ` key
to zoom back out again, or control-shift-j to fit the image in the
window, but i've been using the keystrokes for a long time :) If it's
going slowly for you it might be you don't have enough memory. This
desktop has 32GBytes of RAM and i have the tile cache set to 24G.

Liam

Click here to have the slave beaten.