[Gimp-user] Help With Jacked Up Images

I've been using GIMP for awhile now, but really only with very basic
and simple image creation and editing -- nothing to complicated.
I have a couple of websites where I get most of my images from old
books and magazines. It's gotten to the point where I may find a a
really good relevant image, but it looks terrible. The problem is that
other than playing around with some of the basic color settings like
Curves or Brightness-Contrast, I have no idea what to do.
So, I'm just going to post an image or two that I'm having problems
with and ask what can be  done to fix them, that ok?

I'll start with this one that I'm attaching.

What can I do to just bring out some color and make it not so washed
out??

A quick way is just duplicate the layer and put the top layer into overlay or
multiply mode - one is lighter than the other but both reinforce the colours.
screenshot https://i.imgur.com/2R29QRb.jpg You can then do a New-from-Visible to
keep the result and work on from there.

Then as a suggestion, a multi-function plugin gmic from www.gmic.eu Not going to
recommend any particular filter there are scores but just mess around, there is
a decent size preview to show the result and a reset button at the top if you
need to start again and a little fave(orite) button at the bottom if you want to
save some settings. https://i.imgur.com/gYC03BV.jpg

I have gone a bit over the top with this: https://i.imgur.com/61FRg1H.jpg
spoiled the shadows, just to give some indication.

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)