[Gimp-user] Help With Jacked Up Images

I've been using GIMP for awhile now, but really only with very basic and simple
image creation and editing -- nothing to complicated.
I have a couple of websites where I get most of my images from old books and
magazines. It's gotten to the point where I may find a a really good relevant
image, but it looks terrible. The problem is that other than playing around with
some of the basic color settings like Curves or Brightness-Contrast, I have no
idea what to do.
So, I'm just going to post an image or two that I'm having problems with and
ask what can be  done to fix them, that ok?

I'll start with this one that I'm attaching.

What can I do to just bring out some color and make it not so washed out??

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/969/original/tb.jpg

--
Philbeaux (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)