[Gimp-user] Glow behind object without affecting object itself?

Hi, I am trying to put a glow behind an object without affecting the object
itself.
I have tried alien glow which works fine for text, even though it modifies the
text surface itself.

But I have a moon,  and when I use the alien glow on the moon, it puts a layer
directly over my moon making it like a gradient circle. So I can no longer see
the moon as it was before. Sure its got a glow behind it, but that's not what
I'm looking for. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks!

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/782/original/moons.xcf

--