[Gimp-user] Glow behind object without affecting object itself?

Hi, I am trying to put a glow behind an object without affecting the
object itself.
I have tried alien glow which works fine for text, even though it
modifies the text surface itself.

But I have a moon,  and when I use the alien glow on the moon, it puts
a layer directly over my moon making it like a gradient circle. So I
can no longer see the moon as it was before. Sure its got a glow
behind it, but that's not what I'm looking for. Any ideas on how to do
this?

Thanks!

something like attached:

Basic Gimp demo: https://youtu.be/6nWMwYASdyA