Re: [Gimp-user] how to darken bright areas

On Wednesday 04 January 2017 21:02:15 paulhurm wrote:

I do have a bit of this already done. I do have each photograph as
individual scans, both with and without the captions and I am not too
worried right now about the final "reassembly". My current desire is
just to get the issue resolved with the quality of the prints. I
already have ideas about "reassembly" but not worrying about this
step until I get better quality images.

As mentioned, I had a few steps accomplished once before but can't
remember what I had done. I still seem to recall having used an addin
somehow and playing around with luminance so that comment by you
helps validate some of my current thinking.

I think my next step might have to be to try to go through the
various lists of addins to see if I can find one that might help or
perhaps stumble upon what I used before.

I'm way too green to develop my own filter as you suggested above
although the concept you described seems good. I kind of had that
accomplished in the previous attempt where I did get the desired
areas separated onto a separate layer. It's just that I now have no
idea what I did to get to that point. Thus my post hoping for
suggestions!!

Thanks.

Paul

Gene,

And...

I just went back out and read a bit about RGB vs CMYK. I have never
gotten far enough along with graphics programs to have had to worry
about this but obviously now I do. As a former physics teacher I have
been exposed to RGB much more than CMYK.

Just one more topic I have to go out to learn!!!

Paul

Chuckle...  Make the connection with RGB in the video realm, where its
all additive. So much red, so much green, and so much blue is white.
Hence its RGB. In the video realm, its basically a matter of ajusting
each colors gain once black is established, to get a pleasing white on
the video screen. THis is RGB.

OTOH, The print realm is all subtractive, the Cyan reflecting green and
blue but absorbing red,, the Magenta reflecting red and blue but
absorbing green, the yellow reflecting red and green while absorbing
blue, and K is the combined luminance expressed as the density, hence
the CMYK designation.

One, RGB references just barely visible as black, while CMYK references
the base color of the whiteish paper as its white, and inks are laid
down to subtract the RGB from the white.  And often, to save the
expensive colored inks, the blackest areas will get a reduced amount of
color in favor of getting a more consistent black by useing black to
build the density needed with far less ink.

Neither method can at the end of the day, represent the complete color
spectrum the human eye (with good color vision) can see, but generally
can be tweaked to do a decent job in the center 2/3rds of that color
chart we've all seen in the past few decades.

Thats not all of it, but thats about as simplicated as I can make it. I
hope this helps.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)