[Gimp-user] how to darken bright areas

On Wednesday 04 January 2017 18:58:20 paulhurm wrote:
The black paper, and the glue, totally preclude any thoughts of its
being
an archival quality mounting medium.  There is some acid in all that
stuff that old.

So you must do what can be done with the scans you have.
You it appears, are truely between a rock, and a hard place.  The only
other possible procedure would involved crafting a very narrow band
color filter, centered on the silvery tint, which might be further
filtered to recover its luminance detail, and re-add that detail to
the
K channel of a cmyk encoded copy of the original scan. I doubt that it
could be scripted because of the variations in the aging of the
individual print. Under the conditions you describe, you would probaby
have to separate each print on the page into its own file for
individual
processing. You would need to develop a filenameing convention that
included the page it was on, the upper left corner position marker,
and
the images own size, including any captions involved, so that once
they
were recovered as best as can be done, a relatively simple script
could
put it back together with everything in its original location for then
making a single page image that could then be printed at high enough
resolution that other researchers could learn from it.

I don't envy that position...

How about you make an "unsharp mask", crank up the contrast, then
print
with the unsharp mask subtracted to reduce the contrast back to maybe
20% more than you started with?  That might find usable detail you
cannot see very well now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

I do have a bit of this already done. I do have each photograph as individual
scans, both with and without the captions and I am not too worried right now
about the final "reassembly". My current desire is just to get the issue
resolved with the quality of the prints. I already have ideas about "reassembly"
but not worrying about this step until I get better quality images.

As mentioned, I had a few steps accomplished once before but can't remember what
I had done. I still seem to recall having used an addin somehow and playing
around with luminance so that comment by you helps validate some of my current
thinking.

I think my next step might have to be to try to go through the various lists of
addins to see if I can find one that might help or perhaps stumble upon what I
used before.

I'm way too green to develop my own filter as you suggested above although the
concept you described seems good. I kind of had that accomplished in the
previous attempt where I did get the desired areas separated onto a separate
layer. It's just that I now have no idea what I did to get to that point. Thus
my post hoping for suggestions!!

Thanks.

Paul

--