[Gimp-user] how to darken bright areas

I do have a bit of this already done. I do have each photograph as
individual scans, both with and without the captions and I am not too
worried right now about the final "reassembly". My current desire is
just to get the issue resolved with the quality of the prints. I
already have ideas about "reassembly" but not worrying about this step
until I get better quality images.

As mentioned, I had a few steps accomplished once before but can't
remember what I had done. I still seem to recall having used an addin
somehow and playing around with luminance so that comment by you helps
validate some of my current thinking.

I think my next step might have to be to try to go through the various
lists of addins to see if I can find one that might help or perhaps
stumble upon what I used before.

I'm way too green to develop my own filter as you suggested above
although the concept you described seems good. I kind of had that
accomplished in the previous attempt where I did get the desired areas
separated onto a separate layer. It's just that I now have no idea
what I did to get to that point. Thus my post hoping for suggestions!!

Thanks.

Paul

Gene,

And...

I just went back out and read a bit about RGB vs CMYK. I have never gotten far
enough along with graphics programs to have had to worry about this but
obviously now I do. As a former physics teacher I have been exposed to RGB much
more than CMYK.

Just one more topic I have to go out to learn!!!

Paul

--
paulhurm (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)