Re: [Gimp-user] Problems with changing layer mode in scheme

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:56:41AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:41:22PM +0000, Pat David wrote:
I'm not near my machine to test your script (but can have a look tomorrow).
In the meantime, have you seen the tutorial on doing Luminosity masks?

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Luminosity_Masks/

Thanks for that link, it looks good (at least for landscapes), but
seems even more involved than what I'm currently doing.  But like a
lot of the things I've found when googling, it's all hands-on and I
really want to save time by scripting this part of the process.

If anybody wants to look at my full script, the current version,
with loads of comments - some out of date - is attached.

Small update:

First, just to clarify - the photos I particularly care about
(mostly with a loss of shadow detail, some with blown highlights)
are either buildings or trains, not good-looking landscapes in nice
sunny conditions - all I want to do is get closer to what used to be
possible (with film) when you paid for hand-printing.

The good news is that I'm making (very slow) progress, by stripping
everything back to the basics (so no copied subroutines, and for the
moment execute each function inline at the point I think it is
needed.  I got the console working enough to paste bits and pieces
(after I realised the line I thought was for searching was for
scheme input ;) and when it errors I can often find alternative
approaches with the Browse button.

At the moment all I've managed is to get a second layer (for
shadows, with lighten-only mode), and to drop the requirement for a
drawable value (I started over copying something else) - strangely
the dialog now has an empty long line below the field where I select
the shadow image, which is annoying but not catastrophic.  I still
need to copy the initial image to a new layer for the mask,
desaturate it, invert it, add a shadow mask and paste it.  I'm sure
I'll get a lot more heartache along the way, and the air here will
frequently be blue, but I now have (a little) confidence that this
is on the right lines.  And then I need to do the highlights.

Maybe I'll be back to ask more questions.  If not, I'll be back
whenever I get it to "good enough".  But as with everything else I
do - don't hold your breathe ;-)

ĸen
--
 Error: ( : 1) not enough arguments