Re: [Gimp-user] Problems with changing layer mode in scheme

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 03:10:59AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:56:41AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:41:22PM +0000, Pat David wrote:
I'm not near my machine to test your script (but can have a look tomorrow).
In the meantime, have you seen the tutorial on doing Luminosity masks?

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Luminosity_Masks/

Thanks for that link, it looks good (at least for landscapes), but
seems even more involved than what I'm currently doing.  But like a
lot of the things I've found when googling, it's all hands-on and I
really want to save time by scripting this part of the process.

Actually, I found a link from what I think was another of Pat's
pages, where there is a link to scm code.
If anybody wants to look at my full script, the current version,
with loads of comments - some out of date - is attached.

Small update:

First, just to clarify - the photos I particularly care about
(mostly with a loss of shadow detail, some with blown highlights)
are either buildings or trains, not good-looking landscapes in nice
sunny conditions - all I want to do is get closer to what used to be
possible (with film) when you paid for hand-printing.

Progress report - in 2.8.20, it works.  What I cannot discover is
why I thought that using lighten/darken only, or masks from the base
layer ("the correct exposure") seemed like a good idea when I was
working in 2.9.4.  Of course, I know why I did that - too much of
everything, particularly with red subjects, when I used masks from
the base layer in 2.9.  So, for 2.8.20 it has renames such as "shadow
image" for "lighter image", but I very much doubt it brings anything
new and useful to the party.  Attached.  It appears in the Enhance
filters menu and has the undo stuff wired-up so that you can just
undo the whole filter at once.

FWIW, this works with *raw* images (xcf, png, probably tiff albeit
with loads of warning or error messages from tiffs), and _my_
process follows up by correcting the merged layers (lens distortion,
particularly on wide-angle lenses, perspective and/or rotation)
before doing anything else.

Unfortunately, 2.9.4 is a different story.  The layer modes now have
-MODE added to their names (the numeric values still work), and the
desaturate function I use is now deprecated (and the recommended
replacement appears not to exist in 2.8).  But after changing all
that so that it runs cleanly in 2.9, on the first pic I was using (a
train), the shadow layer ends up with almost nothing (a small part
of the detail from below the carriage, nothing from the interior)
and the highlight layer ends up with nothing at all.  Possibly I'll
come back to this and post here about it, but for the moment I don't
see any indication that doing that will be productive.

Have a happy May Day.

ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment