Re: [Gimp-user] gif banners

Without seeing the actual gimp file, I am making certain assumptions. It looks like each copy of the background layer is identical. If that is the case then multiple copies does not add anything to the final product (not 100% accurate as you can play with how one layer interacts with the one below it). I was not sure if you were trying to create an animated gif. If so, the multiple layers make sense (but not if they are identical copies). If you are trying to make an animated gif all you need is one layer for the background color placed on bottom (two if you want/need different colors for the gif background and text box background).

The transparent areas of the gif are going to allow whatever is below to bleed through. The teal is over powering. Try creating a selection the size of the gif on a new layer, place it below the gif and play with filling it with neutral colors (white, grey, etc.) until you get the image looking the way you want it. You can change how the layers interact (multiply, darken, etc) as that may improve the image. Once you have the image (gif) looking the way you want, add a new layer, placing it on bottom and fill that layer with the desired color of your text box. Finally, add your text layer anywhere above that base layer.