[Gimp-user] Erasing to background color

Thank you for this great group!

I have been stumped on a project that I have been working on all weekend.

I am attaching an image that is my inspiration.  It is a McDonald's gift card
with the french friends and a heart in the middle.

I want to recreate this image with a pattern of images and then insert a heart
image.  Then, I assume that I can just somehow delete the heart image and have
that space now be clear to the transparent background of the image?

I know this is possible, but have no clue how to do.  Please help me!  Thank you
so much in advance for your assistance!

Ive started using Gimp editor just yesterday.

I read the on-line manual but cant find the answer to my question.

When I use the eraser to edit an imported pdf file, what remains is
the checkerboard pattern, not the background color as indicated in the
tool pallet.

How do I configure Gimp such that when I erase I see the background
color?

Thanks,
Dave

Gimp 2.8.14p2