Re: [Gimp-user] Erasing to background color

The checkerboard pattern is the standard way to indicate where you image is transparent (something has to be displayed...). It is not part of your image.

If you see transparency when you erase it's because the layer you are working on support transparency using an "alpha-channel" (it's name is not in boldface in the layers list). So there are trwo ay to do what you want:

1) Use the Layer>Transparency>Remove alpha channel. Then when you erase you get the background color. But this is typically the wrong way, because fixing things later are going to be difficult.

2) Layer>New layer and have it filled with the background color. Then Layer>Stack>Layer to bottom. You now see this background layer where your image layer is transparent. Don't forget to set your image layer active (otherwise erasure will happen on that background layer).

When you'll "File>Export" the image it will be flattened to one single layer, but it is usually a good idea to also "File>Save" the image (as XCF, then) to save the separate layers.