Re: [Gimp-user] Any plans to improve TIF support?

On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 22:54 +0100, rpdayton wrote:
[...]
If GIMP has a 48K (or whatever the number is) upper limit on pixel
count, that
is fine, I'll withdraw the bug report, as it is not actually
something broken, and I will try not to assume :)

It appears to be unrelated to TIFF images. Instead, GIMP can't print
images larger than 32767 pixels on a side (presumably signed 16-bit,
which is the coordinate system that PostScript uses).

I don't know whether ImageMagick can do this; it requires some careful
programming that probably isn't seen as very widely applicable.

The most common uses of TIFF I know of are from the professional
graphic design and imaging worlds, because TIFF was better for
interchange in the 1980s and 1990s than most other formats. These days
PNG is often better. But having said that, you could open any format
image and GIMP still couldn't print it if it was bigger than 32767
pixels on any side. Scale the image down before printing, maybe?

Liam