Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 22:30:23 +0100
From: forums gimpusers com
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
CC: notifications gimpusers com
Subject: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

Just wanted to add yet another voice to the "really annoyed" list.
That is all.

I came here and other gimp related sites to try to find some solution to always
asking settings of exporting/saving an image in jpeg format and to bypass the
dialog saying it was unsaved

The first part -- prompting you for the export settings -- is actually expected to happen the first export
per image session.  Depending on which filetype you're outputting to, some settings could make or break
compatibility with specific apps (e.g. I seem to recall one of the BMP export options doing precisely this,
if it was set wrong then Win32 APIs refused to read the file) .  At least some export types (e.g. JPG) allow
you to save and load export settings....

As for the second part, confirm closing of exported-not-saved images, personally I would prefer this to be a
preferences option but I've never seen any support for the idea expressed by GIMP devs.  (Though I haven't
exactly been tracking it, either.)  However, didn't somebody make a plug-in that calls the Export command
then resets the image's dirty flag?  It does not replace the existing Export command but it would save you
the extra prompt when closing the window.

On a tangent (feel free to split this), I typically run GIMP in single-window mode and I would really like an
option that if more than one image is open in SWM, closing the window will ALWAYS prompt if you want to do
this, regardless of whether those images are saved.  (Analogous to Firefox prompting if you want to close a
window that has multiple open tabs on it.)

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com