Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP forgets I'm using a tablet mid-project.

Sorry - you have hit a bug which will be hard to work-around or fix on GIMP.

I think what you might try to get your work done is to check the
keyboard shortcuts for all actions
you currently need, and avoid clicking outside the canvas at all.  :-(

You can view (and set different) shortcuts even for actions as "select
next layer" if you go to Edit->Preferences->Interface->Configure
Keyboard Shortcuts...

Also, maybe try using the menus using the right-click on canvas (with
another device, and hoping it does not disconfigure the tablet as
well).