[Gimp-user] rotate layer

I created a square layer on another larger square layer in gimp.  When I
try to rotate this square, it doesn't do anything.  I've googled "rotate
layer gimp", but none of the things they say to do works.  I'm trying to
create a checkerboard like pattern on a large square.  I was trying to
create one square and rotate it then I was going to copy that seven across
and then seven down. How can I rotate a layer?

Thanks,

-wes