Re: [Gimp-user] bewildered newbie query

Neal Weissman wrote on 03/10/15 15:00:

i've attached a .png screen capture; hopefully you can see it.

you can see that the .gz unzipped to 517 .jp2 files. i can only reason
to deal with these 517 sequential files as a slideshow .. can you think
of another way?

We are getting off topic here for a GIMP list, anyway...

A slideshow does not seem to be the way to do it. There is no guarantee
that you will have finished reading the page before the next image appears.

Simply open the first "page" (or the page you are up to) of the book as
a single image in Irfanview. Not as a slideshow. Then when you have read
the page there should be left/right arrows on a toolbar. Or, use
left/right arrows on the keyboard.

Show us a screen shot when you open that first image.

But I see you have selected the slideshow without automatic timed
advance, so it should work that way.

Once you start the slideshow, do you actually see the content of the "page"?

Have you done "Add all" to select all the images for the slideshow?

 i can see no way to display a slide show other than 'fullscreen';
fullscreen seems to be the only way that irfanview will display a
slideshow. but fullscreen obliterates access to the the touchpad
keyboard and the iv toolbar and obliterates access to almost everything:
the only option that i can still control is 'shutdown' and 'restart'!
... nor do i have a mouse.

Again, what device are you using? Is it some sort of tablet without
physical mouse or keyboard?

although i repeatedly opted for it, the toolbar does not contain the
buttons for 'next page' and 'previous page' - even if i were able to
access it.

When you say you don't have a mouse, do you mean you don't see a mouse
pointer when in full screen? That's possible. Hitting the "ESC" key
should exit slideshow mode, I think.

--
Bob Long

/s/ Neal Weissman

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Bob Long <bob oblong com au
<mailto:bob oblong com au>> wrote:

    Neal Weissman wrote on 03/10/15 02:32:

    > irfanview is indeed lauded for being plenary but i haven't had success
    > with it: irfanview's toolbar should as you say contain a “proceed to the
    > successor page” button but i don't see it - i only see a “progress to
    > the next *file* ” button. also, the toolbar appears only in one or two
    > views - the default view is full screen which does present the toolbar.

    I don't understand your distinction between successor "page" and "file".
    You say your "book" consists of many images, one per page. As far as
    image editors/viewers are concerned, an image is a file (ignoring
    complications like layers).

    I've never known Irfanview to default to starting full screen, but it is
    an option in the preferences, anyway.

    Even when you are in full screen, the left and right keyboard arrows
    navigate backwards/forwards to the next image in the directory.

    Attempting to read a book by individual images seems to be the root
    problem. Perhaps try converting them to something like an .epub e-book
    format and then use an e-book reader. I've not ever done that from
    images, but there are converters out there. But even that will have
    difficulties, given the text will not be able to flow to suit screen
    size.

    > and iv is most unfriendly to touchpad keyboards. thus, iv has thus far
    > been of no use to me although it was one of the first that i tried -
    > that's why i'm still searching. (btw, many softwares - including
    > Windows! and Google's Gmail- are inconsiderate of touchpad keyboards.)

    Can't help you there. What exactly is the device you are using?

    --
    Bob Long