Re: [Gimp-user] bewildered newbie query

Neal Weissman wrote on 02/10/15 08:07:

i have not encountered anything native to windows 10 that opens .jp2;

Regarding Windows 10:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Photo_Viewer

Not sure if it does .jp2 but doesn't seem promising.

that's why i'm trying so many third-party softwares - the latest being
http://www.fastone.org  .. and this latest too does not seem like it's
friendly to a tablet with touchpad keyboard or else i don't understand
how to work it: it's requiring an immense time to create thumbnails for
the 517 .jp2 pages; and i see no way to use its slideshow feature
without first creating these thumbnails; and i see no way to view this
book without using the slideshow feature.

Irfanview has a plugin that includes JPEG2000 (plugin zip file #2,
"formats"). Try that.

When you have an image open in Irfanview, the top tool bar should have
left and right arrows for moving to the next image.

http://www.irfanview.com/screenshot/big/01_viewer_xp.jpg

i tried using the gimp 2.8 .scm that Bob mentioned; the script's window
does indeed appear but i can't understand how to operate that either!

File|Sequential|Open First File... to navigate to the directory and open
the first file. But the script does not include .jp2 files in its list.
Probably easy to modify the script to do that as it is a text file).
GIMP 2.8 itself will open .jp2 files. And to avoid having to always do
File|Sequential... etc. you'd also want to assign a shortcut key to
close and open the next file.

But that all seems as if it's getting to be too much.

For Windows, Irfanview is excellent, so I'd be spending my efforts
getting that to work. You'll probably end up using it for other things, too.

--
Bob Long

What's the difference between a viewer and a converter?

/s/ Neal Weissman

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 2:27 AM, Bob Long <bob oblong com au
<mailto:bob oblong com au>> wrote:

    Neal Weissman wrote on 01/10/15 14:21:

    > Thank You Bob.
    >
    > But I need to confess that I'm a newbie and I don't know how to use an
    > .scm file;am I supposed to place it into a specified gimp folder? And do
    > you know whether it will work for .jp2 - I see that it accommodates .jpg
    > but I don't know whether that means that it will accommodate “jpeg2000”

    From:
    http://www.mahvin.com/2009/09/gimp-how-to-install-scripts-plug-ins-to.html

    "In Windows Vista [ajnd presumably later version of Windows], the path
    to the GIMP scripts folder is C:\Users\Your User
    Name\.gimp-2.6\scripts."

    It might even be ".gimp-2.8" if you have a later version of GIMP.

    Put the .scm file there then start GIMP.

    But as others have suggested it's probably better to use a simpler image
    viewer. I don't use Windows much now, but I imagine the Microsoft image
    viewer included with Windows should have a means of simply going to the
    next image. Probably arrows left/right somewhere on a toolbar.

    --
    Bob Long

    <http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4846&start=10#p60519>