Re: [Gimp-user] Elementary question for an old mapmaker

Hello Peter,

Yes, GIMP will import most graphics files, and you can use layers to trace over them. It does have a wide
typographic  library, and appears to recognize all the fonts installed on your system. I am working with GIMP
and a map I originally sketched in Adobe Photoshop (a software I have abandoned completely in favor of GIMP.)

However, you should, as others recommend, investigate Inkscape (as I intend to do in the near future). If you
are on a Mac OS, take a look at http://www.mapdiva.com/ortelius/.

All of these programs have fairly steep learning curves if you are not familiar with CG, however, the time
spent is ultimately worth it.

Ross