[Gimp-user] Elementary question for an old mapmaker

I've just finished hand drawing about fifty simple, small (8.5 X 11) maps in a two-month period. I'm hoping
for an easier way, without going broke or making my head explode.

I've read a summary of the GIMP drawing program, but it is not clear to me, if you can import images such as
scans, or Google Earth. Google maps, etc. Can you import an image and trace from it, or does one only draw
original subjects? I assume it has wide typographic ability for font and sizes??

Thanks,

Peter