[Gimp-user] Save v Export behaviour

XCF is not proprietary. It's open, documented, and supported by 3rd
party software.

Surely you are jesting? There are NO other editing applications capable of fully
using this format. None. Zip. Zero. It may be open and documented (which is
great) - but 3rd party support is still woefully lacking. Perhaps "proprietary"
is not the right word here, I'll give you that, but it doesn't seem it would
matter much if it was. Sure, there are some viewers, and some applications allow
import or export, but natively opening and saving XCFs is not possible in any
application that I know of - including, I might add, in Photoshop. Give me a
TIFF any day, or a PNG - hell even BMPs are more widely supported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCF_%28file_format%29

--
VintageGimp (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)