Re: [Gimp-user] new to Gimp

After many hours of trial and error, I have managed to replace a face (with scowl) with one with a smile.
But, how do I get rid of the white box left by the selection/crop and re-color in the background.    Also the

version I downloaded (GIMP 2.6.10) does now have the drop down box on the right of the image screen – all
selections & tools are in a drop down to the left.   Is there a newer version than what I have?

mags