Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:57:07 -0400
From: renaud olgiati-in-paraguay org
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 21:03:45 +0100
Andrew & Bridget <andrew_bridget btinternet com> wrote:

Completely useless for the vast majority who only want to
quickly open a camera-produced .jpeg, rotate, crop and rescale it, and
never work on it again.

So why use GIMP ?

 Because I have been using it (mainly to quickly open a camera-produced
.jpeg, rotate, crop and rescale it, and never work on it again) for over
 15 years.

Because it is the only serious image manipulation prog for Linux.

Can I share my story?  Prior to GIMP I had three separate applications for image manipulation:

- MS Paint (no further explanation)
- iPhoto Plus v3.? (reportedly bundled with my dad's first scanner).  This was capable of cropping, color
curves adjustment, resize/rotate with resampling, but did not support newer popular file formats like GIF or
PNG.
- LView Pro v4.? (before their devs went to a timed trialware model).  This supported JPG, GIF (with
transparency but not animation), and PNG, also had a unique YCC-based invert command, but otherwise its
feature set was pretty limited.  No interactive color curves, for one.

So depending on what I had to do in particular I would need to open up to three apps, and I couldn't always
share image clipboard data between them.

GIMP saved me a lot of time in that it was capable of doing everything I used these other apps for.  Despite
a few breaking changes (though the save/export issue is a big change conceptually, IN PRACTICE the biggest
breaking change to my personal workflow was a minor adjustment to the behavior of selections from 2.2 to
2.4), it is still the best tool I've found for what I do, XCF or otherwise.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com

Pity the recent changes have made it so much less pleasant to use; every time I have saved my work back to
its original .jpg and the stupid prog claims I have not saved it, I heartily curse those responsible, and
wish them to suffer both lumbago AND hiccough......

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                       Beware of foreign entanglements.