Re: [Gimp-user] Save vs export separate discussion forum needed

From: kasim ahmic gmail com
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 20:28:08 -0400
To: jay JaySmith com
CC: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Save vs export separate discussion forum needed

What you're saying does make sense but is it really necessary? I mean is it really THAT
difficult to get accustomed to the new way of working? It's not even that big of a change,
IMO. Just a different option to click really.

Sent from my iPod

Part of the annoyance was recently stated by another user:  If your particular GIMP workflow (for whatever
reason) has little to no need of XCF file storage, GIMP still bombards you with "Save changes?" dialogs every
time you close an image after doing your work on it.  Even months or years after mentally adjusting to the
Export command, this dialog persists and you learn to ignore it out of simple habit -- GIMP is crying wolf.
That is bad.

IMHO GIMP could benefit from re-instating the user preference that was "confirm closing of unsaved images",
but not as it previously was.  The preference would still be enabled by default, but if it's disabled, then
for a given image:
- If the image belongs to an XCF file, GIMP ignores the preference and always prompts for unsaved changes
(saving them to the XCF file, of course).
- If there is no XCF file associated with the image (typical of import/export/overwrite type workflow), GIMP
will only prompt to save changes if there are changes since the last export.  If there are none, GIMP will
not prompt the user (crying wolf scenario).

I know I haven't thought out this one completely, but it would help eliminate a problem with how GIMP treats
the non-XCF workflow, it would not affect XCF-based workflows, and would not affect the distinction between
Save and Export.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com