Re: [Gimp-user] Save vs export separate discussion forum needed

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Richard Gitschlag <
strata_ranger hotmail com> wrote:\

Part of the annoyance was recently stated by another user:  If your
particular GIMP workflow (for whatever reason) has little to no need of XCF
file storage, GIMP still bombards you with "Save changes?" dialogs every
time you close an image after doing your work on it.  Even months or years
after mentally adjusting to the Export command, this dialog persists and
you learn to ignore it out of simple habit -- GIMP is crying wolf.  That is
bad.

I agree with this sentiment about asking to save too often.  Though I do
like the new export feature when I'm not working with XCF it is a bit of an
annoyance.

IMHO GIMP could benefit from re-instating the user preference that was
"confirm closing of unsaved images", but not as it previously was.  The
preference would still be enabled by default, but if it's disabled, then
for a given image:
- If the image belongs to an XCF file, GIMP ignores the preference and
always prompts for unsaved changes (saving them to the XCF file, of course).
- If there is no XCF file associated with the image (typical of
import/export/overwrite type workflow), GIMP will only prompt to save
changes if there are changes since the last export.  If there are none,
GIMP will not prompt the user (crying wolf scenario).

I was thinking about this as well.  I think it would be a nice preference
to have.  It wouldn't change the UI but would modify the repetitive "save
your work" routine.  I've actually accidentally closed unsaved changes on
that for minor tweaks.  While it's no big deal because it was an easily
repeatable action it's still something I had to take the time to do over
again and disrupts my workflow in that specific scenario.

SAM