Re: [Gimp-user] Why so COMPLICATED?

As soon as we have PDB bindings for the new GEGL plug-ins, with the
"run_mode" parameter like qwe have in the classic ones, it will be
possible to build simple plug-ins for stuff like this.

I've tried to get as far as possible with the current gimp (2.9,
should also work for 2.8):
I foundout GIMP indeed require a lot of operations in order to paste
a feathered-out portion of an image:

Paste
Promote floating selection to layer
expand layer to image size
add a layer mask (with a copy from the layer alpha channel)
apply gaussian blur on the mask
apply levels on the mask (*)
merge pasted-layer down

(*) And that even if the Gauss output could be displayed live on the image,
you would not get the final result while tweaking it, as one needs
to perform a levels operation on the intermediate mask, so that
the transparency level is 0 (full trasnparency) at the edge of the pasted
layer, else, the feathering the temporary mask is useless.

Anyway, the resulting script makes this particular operation
one order of magnitude simpler than doing it by hand -
(you can move the pasted layer around when
the gaussian-blur window pops up)
check it out from:
https://github.com/jsbueno/gimp-plugins/blob/master/feather_paste.py

Still - just having interactive calls to the new GEGL ops would
allow for something like you want. For this particular case,
we need to re-think the plug-ins so that a
"composite gegl operation" is created by the plug-in itself.

  js
 -><-