Re: [Gimp-user] Why so COMPLICATED?

On 12/16/2013 02:34 PM, SirCrow wrote:
Hello.  I've tried using GIMP many times, yet I've accomplished very little,
given all of GIMP's functionality.  For example:

If I want to select part of an image and copy it to another area or to a new
image/layer, and also FEATHER the edges, here's how I'd do it in an old graphics
app I often used years ago:

1. Select the area.
2. Hold Ctrl while moving selection with Move tool.
3. Use the slider to soften the edges to my liking.
4. Press Enter to anchor selection.  Done.

Hey SirCrow,

I bet it would help if you were to name the old program you liked so
much.  That would provide a point of reference for the editing
workflow that you're talking about.

It's even possible that something like what you are describing is
possible in the GIMP.  If enough people like the idea of "sliders
for everything" even that might eventually happen.

:o)

Steve

And there were sliders also for opacity and other things.  So very SIMPLE
because the prog. was designed very intuitively.  How would I accomplish the
same in GIMP?  Well, most of the time, I WOULD ACCOMPLISH NOTHING!  At best, I'd
enter values into the box, not like the result, enter new values, repeat.  And
that's on a good day.

PLEASE, I beg you, somebody write a SCRIPT/PLUGIN that allows the use of sliders
exactly as described above!  I desperately want to be a HAPPY GIMP user, but I'm
growing ever more hopeless.  I don't want to turn on my older PC just to use a
graphics app that actually lets me get things done.  Thank you.

Joe