Re: [Gimp-user] [Request] Do not confirm closing if unsaved image was exported/overwrited ?

Ofnuts writes:
If you forgot to export as JPG but saved the image as XCF, then you
can reopen Gimp and produce your JPG. Trouble, yes, data loss, no.

Seriously? You save an XCF copy of every JPG you crop or rescale?
For about 8x-20x (depending on size and compression) the disk space?
I doubt many people would want to do that.

Though, curiously, even that doesn't get around the warning problem.
I just tried this in 2.8.2, so I could compare disk usage:

1. Open origfilename.jpg
2. Crop and Scale to 640 x whatever pixels
3. Save as: filename.xcf
4. Save as or Save a Copy (tried it both ways): filename.xcf.gz
5. Export to (or ctrl-E, since sometimes it appears in the File menu and
   sometimes it doesn't, but ctrl-E always seems to work): filename.jpg
6. Quit

The image is marked clean after step 3, but after step 5, the image
gets mysteriously marked dirty. So even though I've saved two xcf
copies (they ranged from 7.5x to 20x the size of the JPG I was
actually after), I still get an unsaved image warning.

Why does exporting an image mark it dirty even if it's been saved as XCF?
I guess I'm more confused about this intended workflow than I realized.

        ...Akkana