Re: [Gimp-user] Preventing closing a dock by mistake

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Thanks, but I had seen this option and tested it before. This option
only prevents a tab from being dragged out of a dock by the mouse by
accident. It does not prevent the whole dock from being closed.

OK, I see what you mean. Is there no way you could switch to the
single-window mode?

I could indeed. I don't have enough strong Gimp habit for it to be a
problem. That would fix *my* issue because I work single-screened.
I would think though that would not fix it to any graphist which would
have this same issue and need the multi-window mode because one uses
several screens (for instance).

But maybe they don't have this problem? Is there any other way
(shortcut, I mean) to close the top image which would not close a tool
dock (even if it has the focus)? Maybe this is the solution. Maybe
using alt-f4 (which is typically set to raise the close-window event
in most window managers) is not the best idea.

Note that I tried ctrl-w (view-close by default), but it would also
close a tool dock. There is the event file-save-and-close. This on the
other hand works, as well as file-close-all (maj-ctrl-w by default).
Which means they would close only the upper image or all images
respectively, even if a dock has focus. But they automatically save
the closed images. And I don't want this. If I close an image which
has been modified and not saved, I stil want the dialog box asking me
about it (sometimes you do tests, and once done, just want to fastly
close the image without saving the changes).
Basically I guess a file-close-and-ask event would be nice.

Jehan

P.S.: sorry to be a little annoying. My point is that if there is a
*best way* to do it, and that does not exist, I may want to code and
propose a patch to Gimp for it. But of course if a feature which
solves the issue (this way or another) actually already exists, I
would prefer not to work for nothing (and have my patch rejected if I
do it).

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org