[Gimp-user] Bug with fonts when antialiasing on

On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 21:41 +0200, gimp-bug wrote:
All text in gimp 2.8 has greenish border when antialiasing is on, no matter which color is on the
background.
http://i.imgur.com/Ntky2.png - upper part with antialiasing, lower without

This problem happens with gimp 2.8 on gentoo/kde 4.8

Anyone have such problems? What can I do to fix this?

Check your font antialiasing preferences maybe? In gnome 2 this is in
system->prefs->appearance->fonts under advanced, I don't know about kde.

There should be settings for your LCD screen sub-pixel hinting, and you
might want to try turning that off and see if it helps.

Liam
Thank you for the answer!
Yesterday on IRC I was suggested the same - to check antialiasing settings. There's nothing wrong in my
fontconfig, it's pretty standard. In KDE there are three options for antialiasing: Enabled, System settings,
Disabled. I tried every one, and this didn't help. Anything other but "Enabled" makes my fonts horrible in
all other apps though.

I use lcd-filtering gentoo overlay, so this might be a reason why changing settings doesn't work.

I tried Photoshop CS5 under Wine and, as expected, it didn't have such problem.

So now the question is - is this really intended feature that OS settings could interfere with how raster
graphical editor renders its' text objects? Don't you see anything wrong with it? Atm Gimp is unusable for me.
Don't consider this as a flamebait. I just really a bit amused by such "feature" and not sure if I should
report it to bugtracker as a bug.

--
gimp-bug (via gimpusers.com)