[Gimp-user] Why does saves as JPG default to quality 85?

I've noticed that every time I save an image in GIMP as JPG the quality slider bar defaults to 85. Even though I keep changing it to 75. If this numeric value is a Photoshop equivalent like other GIMP features, then 85 is probably a wasted effort. The research I'm aware of (note emphasis) says that the quality in JPG images saved at a level above 75 is "theoretical." In other words, the increased quality is there in technical terms, but imperceptible to the human eye. Comments?

Keith