Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp for casual users

On 07/22/2012 05:44 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:
On 07/22/2012 11:21 AM, Andreas Lemke wrote:

I would be interested in knowing if Gimp users consciously prefer
the model with "private" non-shared operations.  Or has it evolved
like this for historical reasons? Clearly, the choice of interaction
model affects the Gimp learning curve.
I think the big difference here is that different types of objects
in the GIMP are fundamentally different in nature.  It may be
possible to make "generic" operations on objects more consistent,
but there is a limit to how far this can go - lots of judgment calls
to be made.  The one thing I am sure will not happen, is
simplification past a point where functionality is lost.  That's
something that happens to commercial software...

:o)

Another difference is that you have several active objects cooperating at the same time (layer, selection, path, text input..) so it owuld be hard to tell which one get the "generic" action...