Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp for casual users

(Hi this is Andreas - I am sending this from a different email address)

I analyzed the following different selection types. It seems that in Gimp each tool uses its own way of making selections. Which introduces subtle inconsistencies. I am not saying they are critical, but this is a place I started my analysis.

1. The Selection – a set of pixels of the image

Multi-selection: Press Shift or select mult-select icon
The Select menu seems to apply only to this type of section.

2. Layers
Multi-selection: Gimp uses a concept of chaining. Click chain icons to select more than one layer. This multi-selection only works for moving, scaling, flipping etc. It doesn't work for e.g. deleting or duplicating.

3. Layer Groups
When a layer group is selected and the move tool is active: Dragging moves not the layer group but the layer under the mouse.

4. Alignment tool:
Uses its own selection mode. Multi-select: Press shift. No toggle action.

5. Paths
There are different selection types for paths:
- In the path dialog a path can be selected (grey background). Path on canvas is shown in red
- or with a blue background through clicking the path in the dialog
- with the path tool active, a path visible on the canvas can be selected with a left click. Path becomes red and control points become visible. I guess I am now in path edit mode.
- to select another path, I can Alt-click or select it in the path dialog
So, when the path tool is activated, I can be in or out of edit mode. (Why are there these two modes?). Once in edit mode I cannot leave it without de-activating the path tool (?)

6. Path Edit Mode
Multi-selection of control points: Shift click (has toggle action); drag moves the selection

I am a bit inspired by the original work on GUIs at Xerox PARC and the later work on Windows and MAC, etc. The idea there was to have a consistent selection mechanism across all types of objects. Once again, I don't think these inconsistencies are critical but fixing them could be a contribution to an overall improvement.

Best,

Andreas