Re: [Gimp-user] Web development question?

On 02/16/2012 05:25 PM, Burnie West wrote:
On 02/16/2012 01:54 PM, Frank Gore wrote:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Xiella
Harksell<xiesse gmail com>  wrote:
As a point of difference :)

I find myself tending to save the majority of my images (in
terms of
developing the site - stripes, decorations, non-content stuff) as
PNGs.
You're not the only one, the vast majority of professional web
designers use PNGs as a flexible way of displaying images in
browsers.
The last browser I know of that didn't support PNG files properly
was
IE6... and can we count how many years old that is?

Usage is down to something around 5% on most sites I have seen
recent statistics for.  Considering the security aspect, it's really
not doing anyone a favor to support IE6 any more...  But the moment
I stop writing alternate style sheets for it, I just "know" my next
client will be running it in Win2k and asking me why the pages are
all broken and stuff.  :o)

There is  a minor but sound reason for using png rather than jpg
in many of
these cases - the fact that png is lossless. It does result in
somewhat larger
files, but if the specific image wants to be compressed to an
indexed-mode jpg
for file size reasons, a png background is I believe somewhat less
likely to
create artifacts - or so it seems to me.

I did not know that jpg had an indexed mode.  I knew I would be
getting some interesting feedback when I posted that answer.

I have been doing this junk for so long that I developed an
automatic habit of anti-aliasing transparent gif images "by hand" as
per my earlier comments.  And yes, it is time to abandon that and
just use png images.  Yay!

:o)

Steve