Re: [Gimp-user] Web development question?

On 02/16/2012 01:54 PM, Frank Gore wrote:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Xiella Harksell<xiesse gmail com>  wrote:
As a point of difference :)

I find myself tending to save the majority of my images (in terms of
developing the site - stripes, decorations, non-content stuff) as
PNGs.
You're not the only one, the vast majority of professional web
designers use PNGs as a flexible way of displaying images in browsers.
The last browser I know of that didn't support PNG files properly was
IE6... and can we count how many years old that is?
There is  a minor but sound reason for using png rather than jpg in many of
these cases - the fact that png is lossless. It does result in somewhat larger
files, but if the specific image wants to be compressed to an indexed-mode jpg
for file size reasons, a png background is I believe somewhat less likely to
create artifacts - or so it seems to me.

  -- Burnie