Re: [Gimp-user] extract a reasonably dark image from its background?

Your email is formatted strangely.  Hard to read.

I think this is a good reason to do levels first.  Without doing
levels, you get a semi-transparent black, and the background shows

Before levels:

After levels:

After Color To Alpha:
Notice that the blacks are true black, not semi-transparent.  This
because you started with black, not gray.

This is what it looks like with a blue background:

Try it out, let me know if you're still stuck.