Re: [Gimp-user] Cannot Open jpegs/jpgs in GIMP

Hi
   I have a Fedora 17 distro installed on a couple of different
machines.  I am unable to open pictures and scans, I have, which are
in
'jpeg/jpg' format.  I understand the saving/exporting thing, but I am
unable to even open them.
   I am using Kernel 3.6.6-1.fc17.x86_64 and Gnome 3.4.2.  The version
of Gimp I am using is 2.8.2-6.fc17.  I have been unable to get any
assistance from the Fedora forums and/or bugzilla on this matter.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you start gimp at the console, then open one of the offending
images, close or minimise gime, and see if there is any output on your
console?

What does it say?

What is the output of this command  # file xxxxxx.jpg

Also do you have imagemagick installed. What does # identify
xxxxxx.jpg say about the image? Also can you do a # convert file
xxxxxx.jpg file xxxxxx.png and open the png file in gimp?

--
Owen